The past few days I have been consumed with 1 thing ~ green beans! I spent about 2 hours yesterday picking beans, and picked about a 5 gallon bucket worth! Lloyd also gave us about the same amount out of his garden as well, which is awesome! ( Thanks, Lloyd!!! ) So, I spent 3 hours snapping beans with some help from Aaron and Lacey, and then 3 more hours blanching and freezing. In all, I froze 18 quarts! That makes me a happy girl, ya'll. It is a lot of work, but is is so worth it when I have garden green beans all winter long, and they are pretty much chemical free and YUMMY. With the way the plants are going, I will be picking more in a day or 2. I am hoping to freeze 50 quarts in all. Aaron and I have also picked and frozen a gallon of raspberries. I am saving them to make jam, and again I say YUMMY.
To recap the last week or so, we have really had so much summer fun! The 4th at Lloyds was great, complete with steak kabobs. Have I used the word yummy yet? Then it was off to fireworks with Sharon and crew, and it was a treat to watch Terah watch fireworks. She was facinated by them!
This past Saturday my Dad and Ellie, and Jenny, Jason and Baby Kane came over for a cookout to celebrate the 8th anniversary of my 29th birthday! We grilled burgers, had corn on the cob, taco salad, and Ellie made baked beans and chocolate cheesecake!!! :) Aaron played on the Wii with Grandpa while Kane bounced up and down on his knees in front of the TV squealing. He is a riot! Greg, Aaron and Jason also played baseball until Aaron wore them both out. A bonfire rounded out a wonderful evening.
Lacey and Aaron decided to camp out in the backyard Sunday night, and wanted to sleep by themselves. So, we put the tent outside our bedroom window, and kept it open so we could hear the kids, and we also gave them Greg's cell phone. They were having a ball and finally fell asleep. About 2:30 am, I wake up to a huge clap of thunder and the phone ringing. I answer, and Aaron is screaming " Help! it is storming and we can't get out of the tent! Get Dad!!! AAAAHHHHHHH! " I hear Lacey in the backround yelling with Aaron in unison. Needless to say, Greg had to rescue the kids and bring them in, and it actually was a really bad storm. Will either of them ever camp out again??? I bet it won't be for quite a while!
Lastly, to my surprise, I was included in an article in the Dayton Daily today, complete with a pic of me and Aaron! There was a request a couple of weeks ago on their website asking for frugal vacation ideas. Since we travel quite a bit, and I am frugal ( I prefer frugal over tightwad or cheap! ) I sent in a few suggestions that I use on our trips. The writer of the article wrote back and asked for a vacation pic, so I sent her a pic of me and Aaron in Put In Bay. Today, Jenny calls Greg while I was at a co-op meeting to tell me I am in the paper, with our pic front and center! Aaron and I thought it was pretty cool. Now that we are famous, I hope we are not followed around like Greg was on our vacation, where our van with Greg loading ice in it was covered by a local tv station in Grand Rapids, MI! Check it out at http://www.wzzm13.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=106456012001
No comments:
Post a Comment